Cosmetic surgery aims to improve the aesthetic appearance of a person, while plastic surgery may include this, or just the reconstruction (reconstructive surgery). Reconstructive plastic surgery aims to improve function; however, it may also involve trying to approximate normal appearance, but that is not its primary function. Reconstructive plastic surgery is often referred as simply reconstructive surgery. Some parts of the world completely separate cosmetic surgery and plastic surgery and term cosmetic surgery as elective surgery, non-essential surgery, surgery which the patient chooses to have; while plastic surgery is understood to mean surgery to reconstruct or improve appearance after injury or illness. This article focuses on cosmetic surgery only. According to official statistics, approximately 65,000 surgical cosmetic procedures were performed in 2008 in the UK - 50% more than in 2003. Breast enlargement was the most popular procedure, followed by rhinoplasty (nose job, nose reshaping), liposuction, and face-lifts. Cosmetic surgery in the USA is far more popular.
Surgical Cosmetic Procedures
Female breast reduction
Non-surgical Cosmetic Procedures
Hyaluronic Acid (Hylaform, Juvederm, Restylane)
Laser Hair Removal
Laser Skin Resurfacing
Liposuction (Suction-Assisted Lipectomy) - also known as fat modeling, liposculpture suction lipectomy, or lipo. Fat is surgically removed from various parts of the body - usually the abdomen, thighs, buttocks, hips, backs of the arms, and neck. Liposuction may also be used for male breast reduction. It is crucial for the patient to be told that liposuction is not a weight loss method.
f there is a lot of fat, the surgeon cannot remove it all in one go. How much fat is removed depends on what method is being used, as well as certain aspects relating to the patient - usually the most that can be taken out is about 5 kg (a little over 10 lbs). If too much fat is removed there is a significantly greater risk of complications for the patient.
The fat is removed via a cannula (a hollow metal tube) that is passed through the fatty tissue. A pump is attached, generating a vacuum, so that the fat is literally sucked out (suction assisted liposuction). A motor may be attached which makes the cannula vibrate (vacillate back and forth). An ultrasonic generator may also be used - this produces sound waves that break the fat cells which are then removed. Prior to removal the fat cells may also be broken down with laser.
Although complications are uncommon, they can occur, including the accumulation of blood under the skin (hematoma), infection, changes in sensation, allergic reactions, damage to underling structures, and unsatisfactory results. It is important that the patient is aware of the risks and has talked about them with a doctor.
Smokers are advised to give up well in advance of the operation and not to resume for at a least a few weeks afterwards. Smoking can significantly undermine recovery.
Liposuction does not reduce the risk of developing diabetes, heart disease or hypertension (high blood pressure)
Top 5 Benefits Of Plastic Surgery
It’s often said the beauty is only skin deep, but what many people forget to realize is that it’s possible to be beautiful on the inside as well as on the outside. We’re fortunate to live in a time when technology has allowed us the opportunity to improve our appearance. This is extremely important given the importance of appearance in today’s society. This will be touched on more soon. For now, let’s take a look at the Top 5 Benefits of Plastic Surgery.
1. Physical Appearance This is the most obvious benefit to having plastic surgery. It can also apply to many different areas of the body. However, three of the most popular surgeries are breast augmentation, facelift, and liposuction. In regards to breast augmentation, this can pertain to increasing the cup size or breast reduction. A facelift can greatly enhance the most important feature of someone’s body. And liposuction is a miracle in itself, greatly reducing someone’s weight in a short period of time. It’s important to keep in mind that for some plastic surgeries, there will be swelling and bruising immediately following. Plan accordingly, and don’t panic. This will fade, allowing your new beauty to shine.
2. Breathing This might come as a surprise to some readers, but it especially applies to rhinoplasty. If someone suffers from a deviated septum, this can be fixed during the surgery, which will then lead to improved breathing and no more snoring. Any significant other will be appreciative of the change.
3. Posture This benefit is often overlooked because it mostly applies to breast reduction. If someone reduces the amount of weight they’re carrying, then it’s going to put much less strain on their back and shoulders. Back pains should fade quickly, which should then lead to an improved overall quality of life and happiness. This can also be highly beneficial to someone who walks, jogs, runs, or plays competitive sports. It will put less pressure on the joints, which will then lead to improved exercise quality, effectiveness, and longevity.
4. Reduced Risk of Heart Conditions Breast reduction can be applied here, but this primarily relates to liposuction. If significant weight is removed, then it’s going to improve blood pressure and cholesterol. It will also mean less pressure on the joints. Once again, anyone who is active will benefit greatly from this procedure. However, even those who aren’t active will see an improvement in their health and appearance.
5. Social Life Implications It’s no secret that better looking people accomplish more. This might sound superficial, but it’s the way society works. Contrary to popular belief, it’s the way society has always worked. Attractive people simply have better odds of career and social success. One ties into the other. It all begins with appearance. If you’re attractive, then it’s going to be easy for you to make friends. Those friends will give you more connections, which will then lead to more career opportunities. Anyone involved in fields like sales or entertainment – where appearance plays a big role – will enjoy significant advantages over their competitors if they improve their appearance.