Cosmetic surgery aims to improve the aesthetic appearance of a person, while plastic surgery may include this, or just the reconstruction (reconstructive surgery). Reconstructive plastic surgery aims to improve function; however, it may also involve trying to approximate normal appearance, but that is not its primary function. Reconstructive plastic surgery is often referred as simply reconstructive surgery. Some parts of the world completely separate cosmetic surgery and plastic surgery and term cosmetic surgery as elective surgery, non-essential surgery, surgery which the patient chooses to have; while plastic surgery is understood to mean surgery to reconstruct or improve appearance after injury or illness. This article focuses on cosmetic surgery only. According to official statistics, approximately 65,000 surgical cosmetic procedures were performed in 2008 in the UK - 50% more than in 2003. Breast enlargement was the most popular procedure, followed by rhinoplasty (nose job, nose reshaping), liposuction, and face-lifts. Cosmetic surgery in the USA is far more popular.
Surgical Cosmetic Procedures
Female breast reduction
Non-surgical Cosmetic Procedures
Hyaluronic Acid (Hylaform, Juvederm, Restylane)
Laser Hair Removal
Laser Skin Resurfacing
Cheek Augmentation - this surgical procedure is aimed at giving the patient more prominent cheekbones. The surgeon may place an implant at the top of the cheekbones. Many patients say that weak cheeks make their face seem gaunt and aged. As we age our cheeks may lose their fullness.
Top 5 Benefits Of Plastic Surgery
It’s often said the beauty is only skin deep, but what many people forget to realize is that it’s possible to be beautiful on the inside as well as on the outside. We’re fortunate to live in a time when technology has allowed us the opportunity to improve our appearance. This is extremely important given the importance of appearance in today’s society. This will be touched on more soon. For now, let’s take a look at the Top 5 Benefits of Plastic Surgery.
1. Physical Appearance This is the most obvious benefit to having plastic surgery. It can also apply to many different areas of the body. However, three of the most popular surgeries are breast augmentation, facelift, and liposuction. In regards to breast augmentation, this can pertain to increasing the cup size or breast reduction. A facelift can greatly enhance the most important feature of someone’s body. And liposuction is a miracle in itself, greatly reducing someone’s weight in a short period of time. It’s important to keep in mind that for some plastic surgeries, there will be swelling and bruising immediately following. Plan accordingly, and don’t panic. This will fade, allowing your new beauty to shine.
2. Breathing This might come as a surprise to some readers, but it especially applies to rhinoplasty. If someone suffers from a deviated septum, this can be fixed during the surgery, which will then lead to improved breathing and no more snoring. Any significant other will be appreciative of the change.
3. Posture This benefit is often overlooked because it mostly applies to breast reduction. If someone reduces the amount of weight they’re carrying, then it’s going to put much less strain on their back and shoulders. Back pains should fade quickly, which should then lead to an improved overall quality of life and happiness. This can also be highly beneficial to someone who walks, jogs, runs, or plays competitive sports. It will put less pressure on the joints, which will then lead to improved exercise quality, effectiveness, and longevity.
4. Reduced Risk of Heart Conditions Breast reduction can be applied here, but this primarily relates to liposuction. If significant weight is removed, then it’s going to improve blood pressure and cholesterol. It will also mean less pressure on the joints. Once again, anyone who is active will benefit greatly from this procedure. However, even those who aren’t active will see an improvement in their health and appearance.
5. Social Life Implications It’s no secret that better looking people accomplish more. This might sound superficial, but it’s the way society works. Contrary to popular belief, it’s the way society has always worked. Attractive people simply have better odds of career and social success. One ties into the other. It all begins with appearance. If you’re attractive, then it’s going to be easy for you to make friends. Those friends will give you more connections, which will then lead to more career opportunities. Anyone involved in fields like sales or entertainment – where appearance plays a big role – will enjoy significant advantages over their competitors if they improve their appearance.